Monday, January 03, 2011

Goals, not resolutions

So as I mentioned yesterday, I don't do New year's resolutions.

I made a resolution probably in high school not to make any more resolutions. And I have kept it. Because other resolutions usually end up not being kept.

I do have some goals though.

The easiest...and maybe the hardest...is to get back to running. I haven't really run much since I did my 10K on Halloween. I am registered for the Shamrock Half Marathon in March, so I need to get my backside in gear. Plus, Noostie misses running.

So that needs to start this week.

Next, I need to get a 3/3 in Estonian. My secret goal (shhh, don't tell anyone) is to get a 3+/3+. I don't know if that will happen. But at least the 3/3 has to happen before I go to post. And of course, I have already been working on this goal since September. And I can honestly say I have been putting in more effort than I have with previous languages I have studied (but oh my god is going back after vacation HARD! My brain was seriously failing me today! Plus, I was tired because the vacation was less than relaxing...though I feel bad about complaining since my classmates had a baby over Christmas break. They are way more tired than I am...but I still want to go take a nap.)

Another thing I need to do before we move to Estonia is declutter. We once again have too much crap. But that probably won't start immediately.

Perhaps my most important goal, and probably the actual hardest goal, is to finish my dissertation. UNC granted me a final extension, so I have to finish by May or not at all. And I really want to finish. It is a good topic and it still interests me. I just have to apply butt to chair. That too needs to start this week.

Finally, a goal I only have a limited amount of control over is settling my grandmother's estate. I need to sell most of the property she left me (because managing it from overseas would be too much of a hassle) before we leave in July or August. But with the market the way it is, who knows if I will be able to.

So those are my goals. I think/hope I can reach all of them. What are your goals?

No comments: