Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Letter from my Congressman

David Price (D-NC) regularly makes me happy that he is my representative. He did again yesterday when he sent me the following letter:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 3567, the Respect for Marriage Act. I am pleased to report that I am a cosponsor of this legislation.

As you know, in 1996, Congress enacted the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which prohibits federal recognition of same-sex marriage and grants each state the authority to refuse to recognize such marriages performed in other states. H.R. 3567 would repeal DOMA, effectively extending federal recognition and benefits to all married couples, irrespective of sexual orientation. The legislation also would require states to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states.

I believe DOMA is discriminatory, and I will continue working for enactment of the Respect for Marriage Act in the 111th Congress.

Again, thank you for contacting me, and please continue to keep in touch on issues of concern.

Sincerely,
DAVID PRICE
Member of Congress

No comments: