Thursday, February 18, 2010

Some People

Some people really need to be brought down a notch.

There seems to be an abundance of such people in "The Building."

I heard a story recently about a guy who got on the elevator and looked around to see if there was anyone he considered important on it. Deciding that none of them were as important as he felt he was, he pushed the reset button so the elevator would only stop on his floor (the 7th floor, of course). He obviously was too important to waste his time letting other people get off at their floors before he got off at his, even though they were on the elevator first.

No one said a word to him, likely because they weren't sure who he was. Maybe he was really high ranking. Maybe he was on a first name basis with the Secretary.

I witnessed this kind of arrogance yesterday.

I was in line at the post office downstairs waiting, like about 6 or 7 other people, for my turn to mail my package. A woman walks in with a Fedex box (note I said the post office, NOT the Fedex drop location). She walks to the front of the line...or almost the front, because the guy at the front of the line was standing just a bit to far to the center of the aisle. So she used her Fedex box TO SHOO HIM out of her way so she could get in front of him in line!

I have no idea who this woman is, but she obviously thinks she is important. And again, no one said a word to her.

She went to the postal clerk and asked about sending her Fedex box, and the clerk began giving her directions to the drop box. The woman interrupted her, and the clerk said, "M'am, this is not Fedex!" and then resumed giving directions to the drop box.

Now had she been a decent human being, she'd have likely been able to accomplish the exact same thing by just saying, "I just need to ask a question. Do you mind if I go next?" I'd have let her go, as I suspect most people would.

But she was clearly too important to be decent.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Oh that just chaps me... really, really chaps me.