Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Support in SC for Marriage Equality

I'll admit I was surprised, albeit pleasantly so, when support came out of South Carolina for marriage equality. Of course, of all of our politicians there, Rep. Jim Clyburn was certainly the most likely to do it. Still, I was pleased when he did.

So I wrote him a letter, thanking him. Because I wasn't sure how much appreciation he would get from my fellow Sandlappers.

And I got a response.

He wrote:


 
Thank you very much for your letter of appreciation regarding my support for marriage equality.  Like President Obama, my thinking on this issue has evolved over the years, and I was proud to announce my support.  I have fought for equal rights under the law since my days as a college student protesting segregation, and I am confident that we will continue to make progress toward achieving marriage equality for all Americans.
 
Thank you again for taking the time to write me. If I can ever be of any assistance to you or your family, please do not hesitate to contact me.
 
 
With kindest regards, I am,
 

Sincerely,

James E. Clyburn
Member of Congress

That makes me happy. Thanks Rep. Clyburn!

No comments: