Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Sad News from Jerusalem


I learned today that one of my FSNs in Jerusalem died this morning.

I have mentioned him before, though not by name. He was 63 years old and had worked for the American Consulate since 1968. He worked with me as a fraud investigator when I was the fraud prevention manager. He seemed to delight in catching people trying to pass fake documents, whether they were Palestinian or Israeli.

He put up with a lot to serve our government. His salary supported 14 members of his family who were unable to work because the Palestinian economy makes it so difficult to find jobs. The Israelis at the checkpoint knew him, and yet every morning, they made this older man who had worked for the U.S. government for half his life, take off his shoes, shirt and belt before letting him pass throught the checkpoint. It was humiliating for him, and yet he endured it so he could support his family.

He always said he would die at that checkpoint.

This morning he did.


2 comments:

Steve said...

For as long as a person is remembered, they are not really dead.

I linked to your post at http://deadmenworking.blogspot.com/2008/06/dont-keep-in-touch.html .

My condolences.

hannah said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Is there a fund set up for support of his family?