Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2007 Musings

Since I am spending the last few hours of 2007 at work, and practically no one else is, I thought I would set down a few thoughts on the past year and a few hopes for the new one.

I am thankful that this past year brought M and I, and our pets, safely back to the states after two years in Jerusalem, and thankful that we both ended up in positions in the department that we like. I am pleased too that I am the leading candidate for a good position next year, and I will be working with some folks I really like. I'm also glad that neither M nor I is heading to Iraq this coming year. I am glad too to have been a small part in the publicity surrounding Ambassador Guest's resignation and the subsequent push for equal rights for gays and lesbians in the foreign service. The battle is not over.

And I am more thankful than I can express that my grandmother's MRI was clear and that she remains cancer-free.

I am hopeful about the coming year. My biggest goal for the year (dare I say it, my NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION) is to FINISH MY DISSERTATION! I don't know if finishing it will lead me back into archaeology, but it will certainly give me more options. Plus, finishing is just a matter of personal pride for me. I want this year to be the year.

My biggest hope for the coming year is health and happiness for my family and friends. And my biggest prayer is for peace.

No comments: