Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Another Reason I'm Glad The Ravens Won, or, how I love me some Softies!

As those of you who know me in real life know, I LOVE football.

I am a pretty rabid South Carolina Gamecocks fan, and as far as the NFL goes, the Steelers are my team.

But given Ravens player Brendon Ayanbadejo's outspoken support for marriage equality, I cheered for the Ravens in the Super Bowl. (In 2009, he wrote: "If Britney Spears can party it up in Vegas with one of her boys and go get married on a whim and annul her marriage the next day, why can’t a loving same sex couple tie the knot? How could our society grant more rights to a heterosexual one night stand wedding in Vegas than a gay couple that has been together for 3, 5, 10 years of true love?" How indeed.)



So I cheered for the Ravens on Sunday. And that was before I knew about the Softies.

The Softies are Ravens players who are part of Baltimore's "Show Your Soft Side" campaign to end animal abuse.








I think this is particularly cool given what happened with Michael Vick and his torture of animals (don't want to hear it if you think "oh, but he served his time." Sorry, you can't grow a conscience.)

So yeah, the Ravens are now my next favorite team, and I am really happy they won the Super Bowl.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Mr. Ayanbedejo, while he was being interviewed post game, was a most articulate and compassionate voice for this human right. He could make even me watch football!