Friday, October 15, 2010

Nightmare on Mitten Street

Each day, we have to bring in uudis, or news, in Estonian. We pick a news story and write it on the board, and then as a class we read the stories and make any corrections that are needed.

I have found it a very useful activity.

Usually, I end up looking up a couple words, which we are really not supposed to do. We are supposed to try to use the language we have.

So last night I did. And I found a story online about a bus getting hit by a train, and I only used words we already had.

What I meant to say was that the accident happened because the bus went down a closed street.
The word for clossed it kinni.

What I actually said was the bus went down mitten street.

The word for mitten is kinna.

The teacher thought it was so funny she left it on the board.

This is not a mistake I will make again.

The day did get better, and for the first time, we are reading news articles. I'm excited and surprised at how much we can already figure out.

Fortunately, there were no closings in the story. Or mittens either.

No comments: