Friday, August 13, 2010

Heartbreaking

I learned today that one of my new friends lost one of her old ones just as she arrived at her first post.

Sadie, who is new to the Foreign Service and who I was in training with for a month at FSI, wrote in her blog today that her beloved companion Hattie, a shitzhu mix turned mixed breed-guard dog, had died before she was released from Customs at post.

I don't know the circumstances. I just know that Sadie adored her impossibly cute little fur daughter and I am very sad for her today. I know how much pets mean and how much a part of the family they are. And for those of us like me and Sadie, who don't have human offspring, they are very much like our children.

I hope you will keep Sadie and Hattie in your thoughts. This is an awful way to begin a first tour.



3 comments:

Connie said...

Even those of us with human offspring 'adopt' our furbabies as forever family. I am sorry to hear of your friend's loss. It is very hard.

Sadie said...

Digger, thanks so much for posting this. It has been a very difficult few days and will continue to be painful, but the outpouring of love and support I've gotten from friends, new and old, across the globe is helping the healing process immensely.

Jill said...

Ugh - this breaks my heart.