Friday, November 27, 2009

Benefits But Not Marriage

I hope you'll forgive me for again being off topic...for obvious reasons, gay marriage is foremost on my mind these days (that, and I am in the office on the day after Thanksgiving and there is not much work to be done!)

There is a nice article in today's Washington Post about how nationwide, benefits for same-sex partners are increasing even as Maine became the 31st state to vote against same-sex marriage.

Most of these wins are coming from the courts and legislatures. When allowed to vote, people tend to come down against our rights. No doubt, had Brown v Board of Education, the integration of the military, or the Civil Rights Act been put to a vote, it would have failed miserably. In fact, while the Supreme Court ruled in 1967 that miscegentation laws were unconstitutional, it took until 1998 and 2000 for the last states (SC and Alabama respectively) to remove prohibitions against interacial marriage from their state constitutions. And in both cases, about 40% of the population STILL voted to restrict marriage to members of the same race.

Rights should never be left to the tryanny of the majority. Which is why I am proud of DC for refusing to let people vote on my right to be married.

Because I AM married.

No comments: