Monday, April 20, 2009

Still Waiting

By my count, President Obama's 100th day is about April 30, and Secretary Clinton's will be soon after. LGBT Foreign Service families were promised that their issues would be "fast tracked" on several occassions since then.

We are still waiting.

Summer transfer season is upon us. LGBT Foreign Service families will soon, unless the Secretary acts, be forced to once again pay the cost of expensive flights to post for the non-employee partner. And they will pay that price so that their family can serve the country while the non-employee partner is once again forced to live the life of discrimination that is the life of Members of Household.

For all my friends facing this, I hope change comes soon.

1 comment:

Cyn said...

Thanks for posting this. I am a municipal law attorney with international work experience, but I have been deferring taking the FSOT exam because of the discrimination my same-sex spouse would suffer. I'm waiting with bated breath for some changes that would finally allow me to pursue my strong interest in joining the Foreign Service.