Thursday, March 05, 2009

I left my heart in San Francisco (and the rest of California too)

I have never been to California, but today, my heart is there. Today, the California Supreme Court is hearing an appeal to overturn Proposition 8, the ballot measure that will effectively divorce 18,000 same-sex couples. Included in that number is a friend, a United Church of Christ minister who married me and my partner in North Carolina in 2002. She and her wife are happily married with a beautiful daughter...no one should get to decide to divorce them any more than we should get to vote on whether members of racial minorities can marry.

So my heart is in a state where I have never been, thinking good thoughts for people I have never met.

If you have time, check out the "Don't Divorce Me" video here.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Hey, thanks very much for the tips! I'm grateful for any sort of advice regarding the exam. The Hannity comment was of course facetious--I don't think I'd have any hope of passing if I were to mimic his rather tasteless behavior.

I'm quite anxious about Prop 8, too. Let's hope for the best.