Sunday, November 11, 2012

Thank You

I am really enjoying our (much needed) three-day weekend after a jam-packed few weeks that included a trip to Narva, an early morning election event, and then Friday, a trip to Tartu.

I am thankful for the chance to catch up on sleep, finally get a haircut, and for the chance to get out twice to the St. Martin's Day Fair, where I finished my Christmas shopping (don't be a hater...you are just jealous!)

But I mostly really thankful for the reason behind that three-day weekend: our veterans.


I believe in our country and I believe in service to it. Had I not been a lesbian, I likely would have joined the military. And my service in the Foreign Service is my way of serving since Don't Ask, Don't Tell was repealed after I was a little too long in the tooth to join.

I appreciate those who have answered that call, people such as my grandfather as well as both my father- and mother-in-law. But of course, there are many other people in my life who have also answered that call, such as Sez, one of my favorite people on the planet, and James, a good friend since high school.

We are free because of people like you.

No comments: