Thursday, July 22, 2010

I Suppose That IS a Danger Post...

I read this in today's Washington Post and it gave me a laugh.

I think I have mentioned before that I served with the soon-to-be Ambassador Connelly in Jersualem and I think she is stellar. Anyone who gets to serve with her in Beirut should count themselves fortunate, and I would work for her again in a heartbeat.

Her first tour was pretty tough, too

Maura Connelly, the president's nominee for ambassador to Lebanon, has taken a long journey in her career as a Foreign Service officer. Her tours have included Algeria, Damascus, Jerusalem, Jordan, London, South Africa, and Washington, where she now serves as deputy assistant secretary in the bureau of Near Eastern affairs.

At her confirmation hearing Tuesday, we learned that her career in government service began when she was a Senate page during high school; she then worked as an elevator operator in the Capitol building while an undergrad at Georgetown.

But Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) highlighted her childhood experience in the rough-and-tumble suburbs of northern New Jersey as another asset she can bring to bear when she gets to Beirut.

"Anyone who was born in Jersey City, New Jersey, could probably do very well in Lebanon, Menendez said.

No comments: