Saturday, April 19, 2008

State's "Building Spree"

Consul-at-Arms commented on TSB's post about the 25th anniversary.

There are a lot of criticisms of the results of State's "building spree" of new embassies and consulates since the truck bomb attacks on our embassies in Nairobi and Dar Es Salaam. I've served in EOBs (Existing Office Buildings, i.e., those not designed nor built to provide protection from such attacks), in NABs (Newly Acquired Buildings; i.e., buildings we've bought and then tried to renovate or rebuild so that they provide at least some protection against bomb attacks), and in an NOB (New Office Building; a facility designed and built to protect its occupants against a similar attack).

Guess which one I feel a lot safer working in?


I was an MOH (Member of Household) at one post with in EOB (buildings around it were taller than the Embassy and staff worried that they could be shot like fish in a barrel in the courtyard) and as an officer at another post in an EOB. My window looked straight down on the street...I watched a protest right outside my window get disbursed with stun grenades. So I'm with CAA.

No comments: