Sunday, July 23, 2006

Folding and the Fourth

I just folded the American flag t-shirt that I like to wear on the 4th of July (I washed it pretty quickly...it is the whole folding on non-work clothes that I am less timely with!). One of the cool things about being overseas is that people congratulate you on the 4th, like it is your very own personal accomplishment. You have to be at least a little (and more likely a lot) patriotic to do this job (it helps if you are insane as well...luckily I have that base covered too!), so it is kind of a nice feeling to be congratulated on the fourth.

Next 4th, insha'allah, I will be back in the U.S. True, I won't be congratulated on the day, but I also won't have to wear a business suit in 90 degree heat and make small talk with lots of non-Americans while eating fingerfoods that don't come anywhere close to the hotdogs and hamburgers that should be consumed on the 4th as God intended!

No comments: