Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Snow Hates Me

I don't think it is any secret that I am not a big fan of snow.

I used to be. Of course, coming from the South, "snow" was the 2 or so inches we got every 3-4 years.

Then I moved to Syracuse. And they have an annual snowfall greater than my height. So I got to like it less.

I liked it a little better when I was in Chapel Hill...we got 20 inches in one storm and it was pretty awesome.

Then we had a snow and ice storm, and I disliked it again. We were without power for weeks (and because we were on a well, also without water...good times), but luckily my department at UNC allowed us to sleep in the lab...with my pets (archaeology department at UNC seriously rocks!).

Last year's snows in DC didn't help me like snow any better...when our roof people finally shovelled it off our roof (all like four feet of it), they dumped it on our stairs. And created an ice ramp that I had to try to shovel footholds into while in my work clothes so I could get into my house, change clothes and shovel the steps.

But we had snow last week, and I thought, well that is pretty. I can deal with that. I will think positively so I will be happier with the weather in Estonia.

Now I am positive snow hates me.

Why?

Because they are calling for a possible white Christmas.

Which WOULD be awesome. I have never had one. I once drove two hours to get to a place on Christmas morning where there was snow. That is the closet I've come.

So like I said, that WOULD be awesome.

EXCEPT...

We are supposed to drive to the inlaws' Christmas morning. And back home Christmas evening. So we can drive to the beach the day after Christmas. And have a much needed break, especially after the last few weeks.

That much driving is fine...without snow.

And they are calling for EITHER snow showers OR a big storm. 50-50 shot. Awesome.

Snow hates me.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I love your writing. You always make me laugh. Just wanted to let you know I linked to you here http://smallbitsfs.blogspot.com/2010/12/state-department-round-up.html
Just a general link for the blogroll. Thanks!