Monday, December 06, 2010

In Case You Think We Are Overpaid

In case you think Foreign Service Officers are among the "overpaid" federal employees, you should check out this post by Four Globetrotters.

She describes her experience identifying American victims of a plane crash...even with some of the more gruesome details spared, you should be happy she serves you. She writes:

"This was seven years ago this month, and time has made it easier to deal with what was ultimately diagnosed as PTSD. I still have nightmares sometimes. But I would do it all over again.

One of the things I took from ConGen training was the following: "There is no substitute for personal appearance." This means that when at all possible, we need to be physically present to help our American citizens in their time of need. Whether that's going down to do a jail visit, or helping an Amcit file a police report for a stolen passport, or identifying their remains and notifying their families, when at all possible, do it in person.

My story is only one of many. My colleagues around the world have many similar stories to share. I couldn't even imagine what it must have been like in Haiti earlier this year. But we do it, because we love our country and we take our responsibilities seriously. The vast majority of us are highly educated, intelligent, dedicated professionals. Sure there are things that can be improved. That's the case with any organization. But overpaid? I think not."

She, and nearly all Foreign Service Officers, could make far more than they are paid to serve you, and they are worth every penny.

3 comments:

Rich Faillace said...

Right on.

KYM said...

I wanted to thank you for your comment on my post. Actually, the funny thing is that I just found your blog yesterday. I really appreciate all the information that you've put out there. I'll be reading through your older posts, for sure. Thank you. It looks like I have a long road ahead, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Destinaish Unknown said...

Pfft. Take a look at the proposed tax deal on the table...What is with Washington these days?