Friday, January 27, 2012

And You Thought Gas Was Expensive Where You Are...

I'll start with saying I love USAA.

A friend of mine here went to purchase gasoline the other day.

She doesn't drive an extraordinarily large car. She filled it up, and used her US debit card to pay for it.

Now when I fill up my car, it usually costs about 50 euros. Or about $63.

Hers cost $70...plus another four zeros.

Yes, SEVEN HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS! For ONE TANK of gas!

And you were complaining about $3-4 a gallon?

The crazy part? Her bank let it go through. And didn't put a hold on her account.

That's just nuts!

USAA put a hold on my account for a weird looking charge of just under $3. And they were right, it was a "test charge" by someone who had stolen my number.

Which is why I love USAA!

6 comments:

Destinaish Unknown said...

Digger! What exactly IS the USAA?? I mean google comes up with like 300000 hits...lol.

Digger said...

USAA is a bank that you have to be in the military, Foreign Service, or a family member to join. And they are fabulous! usaa.com

Nomads By Nature said...

We use USAA and love it too! Hoping the error is taken care of quickly for your friend.

Digger said...

Me too! I just can't believe that beyond allowing that transaction to go through, she had to CONVINCE them is was a mistake. Definitely not USAA customer service!

Mochi said...

That has got to be tough... Most banks insure the customer when accounts are stolen, but a $700,000 charge, who's taking liability for that? I hope that bank has a REALLY good insurance program...

breemarie said...

I'm right there with you in my love for USAA! My most recent warm fuzzy experience with them involved their "call me right away" service: I typed my overseas landline number, and the phone rang less than 10 seconds later with a representative on the line! No wonder we're all singing their praises.