Friday, January 25, 2013

Understanding Us

So we are getting a new Secretary of State.

Let me say first that I have loved serving under Secretary Clinton...I think there is a facebook page called Secretary of Awesome for her for a reason. She will be missed.

But I am also optimistic about our Secretary Designate, Senator John Kerry.

And this quote, taken from his testimony yesterday, is why:


"If you confirm me, I would take office as Secretary proud that the Senate is in my blood – but equally proud that so too is the Foreign Service. My Dad’s work under Presidents, both Democratic and Republican, took me and my siblings around the world for a personal journey that brought home the sacrifices and commitment the men and women of the Foreign Service make every day on behalf of America. I wish everyone in the country could see and understand first-hand the devotion, loyalty and amazingly hard, often dangerous work that our diplomats on the front lines do. Theirs is service which earns our country an enormous return on our investment. I will be proud and honored to represent them and I will work hard to augment our public diplomacy so that the story is told at home and abroad."

Senator Kerry is a Foreign Service brat. He gets it. He gets us. He understands the life we live and the dangers we face.

Also understanding the dangers we face? Rachel Maddow and Andrea Mitchell.

Check out this clip:



Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

No comments: