Thursday, July 05, 2012

Happy July 4th!

Yes, I know I am a day late wishing you a Happy Independence Day.

That is because when you are serving overseas, July 4th is almost always a work day. For us, that meant the work day started at 8:30 am and didn't end until after 9 pm. And then I was too exhausted to write anything more than my Facebook status. So if we aren't Facebook friends, I apologize for being late!

Here is Tallinn, we had not one, but two events. I was the MC at the first event, a not too painful job. I don't mind public speaking. It occassionally makes me nervous, but yesterday I think I was too busy to be nervous. There were SO MANY moving parts. Luckily, this embassy is chock full of awesome folks, Americans and Estonians alike, and we work really well together. We managed to pack into one event the Ambassador's final speech, the introduction of the Mobile American Corner, show off the electric car we bought that is the first electric car in an Embassy fleet in Eastern Europe (it is a Chevy Volt and it drives GREAT!), give the Legion of Merit to an Estonian general, have a performing band (more like small orchestra...), announce the winners of the photo contest, AND have the Philadelphia Boys Choir (SEVENTY-FIVE BOYS!). And then of course there was the, gorgeous, gi-nourmous cake! (photo above is courtesy of a member of my staff, since by the time I got away from the podium, the cake was mostly devoured!)

Even on July 4th, this embassy punches above its weight.

So to all of you out there, but most especially those of you serving our amazing country in the military and Foreign Service, Happy Independence Day! Your hard work helps insure we get another 236 years of freedom!

No comments: