Monday, April 11, 2011

Who Was Happy To Go To Work Today?

Me, that's who.

Yes, really.

I really love my job...I also really like getting paid for it, so I can do other things I really like.

Like pay my bills!

I also like being better able to focus...my background is solidly and proudly working class. My mom came from mill workers and military, my dad from coal miners and military (we believe in service). I am the first in my family to graduate college, and I was graduated from a state university in my home state. Nothing fancy here.

And I know from experience what it is like not to have enough money to pay my bills. I know, and wish I didn't, how long you can put off paying certain utilities before they get cut off.

I haven't been in that position in years, far longer than I have worked for the Department. But I remember it...and I never want to go there again.

So yeah, really really happy to be at work today.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

We were happy, too! You know who else was happy?

The thousands of visa applicants we service worldwide Monday-Friday.

The thousands of AmCits living abroad who rely on us for support.

The schools, universities, orphanages, etc that we visit regularly.

The FSNs that would have suffered and not understood why this was happening to them.

That's the thing that is so hard for people to remember....the lives that we impact don't just stop because the government does.

Digger said...

Well said!