Friday, March 04, 2011

Pleasantly Surprised

It is no secret that I have been incredibly frustrated with area studies. The countries we are going to haven't been discussed AT ALL for weeks. In fact, before today, we had gone six weeks with no substantial discussion of any of the countries alledgedly covered by the course. Five of those weeks had been spent discussing Russia. The sixth was the manditory Appeal of Conscience (where they asked for a show of hands from "believers." Really? In a government class?)

And today's topic was Russian Foreign Policy. To say I was not optimistic is an understatement.

But I can admit when I am wrong.

Our speaker, from the Center for Strategic and International Studies, was interesting and knowledgable...about our countries!

He talked about Russia's policy towards our countries. When I relayed some of what he said about Poland to my wife, she said it was an incredibly accurate assessment.

Numerous people went to our course coordinator (the one who returned today after a two month absence) after class today to tell him how this was about the best class we have had so far.

I agree completely...more please!

No comments: