Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Reason to Be Thankful

There was a car bomb today near the U.S. Embassy in Afghanistan. No doubt the idea was to send the message to prospective voters for next week's presidential election to stay home.

From the coverage I have seen, that message was received by some. I hope not many.

None of the folks at the mission were hurt, and they have all been accounted for. For this, I am extremely grateful. I have friends there, including one very close friend. Until she left for Kabul last month, we had continued our tradition, begun in Jerusalem, of having dinner together once a week or so with a group of friends. Aside from my partner, she is one of my very best friends, and one of the people that make me think I should stay in the service because without it, I'd have never met her.

I hope everyone in Afghanistan stays safe and comes home soon.

No comments: