Thursday, March 20, 2008

Robert Beecroft to be Ambassador to Jordan

The following was announced today by the White House:

The President intends to nominate Robert Beecroft, of California, to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan. Mr. Beecroft, a career member of the Senior Foreign Service, currently serves as Executive Assistant to the Secretary of State. Prior to this, he served as Special Assistant to former Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage. Earlier in his career, he served as an International Relations Officer in the Office of Northern Gulf Affairs in the Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs. Mr. Beecroft received his bachelor's degree from Brigham Young University and his JD from University of California, Berkeley.

It always makes me happy when career members of the Foreign Service are named Ambassador. I suppose much like every boy and girl grows up thinking they could be President, every Foreign Service Officer (or most anyway...none of us are really hear because we are unambitious) secretly hopes to be an Ambassador someday. And when those of our own make it, we have a little hope. Even me. Even though it is very, very unlikely. Ambassador Digger? Hmmm.

6 comments:

C.C. said...

Ambassador Digger? Why not?! I agree that it's great to see career officers get the nod. We're sometimes a little skeptical when a political appointee comes in as ambassador. We've been pleasantly surprised with some and totally not surprised with others. Just like most things in life, I guess, political appointees are a mixed bag.

Unknown said...

Sounds fab. I hope you make it. I do nothing so exulted as you but I work for a place where promotion from within doesn't come often, but I just got promoted into management. So anything can happen.

Digger said...

Definitely would not describe what I do as exulted. While I am not at the bottom of the totem pole, there are FAR more people above me than below me on it! But maybe one day...

Digger said...

And congrats on your promotion!

Anonymous said...

thats my dad.

Anonymous said...

thats my dad.