Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Virginia: State Employees Lose Protections from Anti-LGBT Discrimination

In case you wondered whether or not discrimination is alive and well:

Virginia: State Employees Lose Protections from Anti-LGBT Discrimination

Gov. McDonnell has signed a new executive order that strips former protections from discrimination based on sexual orientation for employees of the Commonwealth of Virginia, while legislation to protect those employees has died in the state’s legislature.

On Monday, Feb. 8, the state Senate passed legislation to protect public employees from discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity or expression. The bill would have codified and expanded previous policy set by executive orders from former Governors Tim Kaine and Mark Warner based on sexual orientation only, but the legislation died in a House subcommittee on Tuesday, Feb. 9.

Gov. McDonnell first opposed protecting employees based on sexual orientation when he was Attorney General, arguing that the state’s discrimination policy should be defined by the legislature. His new order, which includes all previously protected categories including race, sex, religion and age – but not the previously protected category of sexual orientation – was signed on Feb. 5, but was first reported on Wednesday, Feb. 10. Current attorney general Ken Cuccinelli supports Gov. McDonell’s legal reasoning. The Governor has released a policy he recently sent to staff members and Cabinet secretaries indicating that his office would not discriminate “for any reason,” but his message could hardly be clearer: discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity is not prohibited.

Twelve states and the District of Columbia prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity for all public and private employers, and an additional 6 states have an executive or administrative order prohibiting discrimination against public employees based on sexual orientation and gender identity.

5 comments:

fsowannabe said...

That is so disheartening.

Anonymous said...

You have done such a great job on the design and format of your blog. It is so lovely!

I especially love - just absolutely love- the fish widget at the bottom of your site. I copied it... changed the fish colors, though... and have used it, also. It has brought my children lots of joy! Such a simple little widget, but so very fun!

Thanks!

Digger said...

I had the same reaction the first time I saw them. It is positively sad how often I go to my own blog to feed my fish!

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW. Thank you so much for admitting that.

Because I never, ever could have admitted that, also, if you hadn't started first.

I SO go to my own blog post to feed my fish! LOL!!!

And I like the way I designed my fish, but I also really like the way you designed your fish! (I didn't want to totally copy your fish design - that would make me too much of a doofus.)

So when I come to your blog, I make it a point to go down to the bottom and feed your fish, too! Because they are very pretty.

Digger said...

I admit it. I also make them follow mu cursor around...because I am that much of a dork!