Friday, April 18, 2008

25th Anniversary

Today is the 25th anniversary of the bombing of the Embassy in Beirut. The Skeptical Bureaucrat wrote short piece about it yesterday. Like TSB, I am pleased that some people remember, though I fear most Americans do not. I think those fears are confirmed by the many people who accuse us of cowardise in light of the renewed talks of directed assignments. We have always gone to dangerous places, and some of us have paid the highest price for service to our country.

TSB wrote:

A co-worker drew my attention to this worthy piece in today's Washington Post. It's gratifying to see that many people still remember the attack on the U.S. Embassy in Beirut that occurred 25 years ago tomorrow, April 18th.

[...]


That co-worker of mine was assigned to Beirut back then, as was another of my present day office mates, and he was inside the chancery when the bomb exploded. Today, we all work to implement programs that are the direct result of that attack. It's funny how the past is never really past.

1 comment:

Consul-At-Arms said...

I've quoted you and linked to you here: http://consul-at-arms.blogspot.com/2008/04/re-25th-anniversary.html